Monday, March 3, 2008

More 19th Century Teen Autographs

The following autographs are supplement to those in the Post below, "Our Changing Language - Through Autographs." These date from 1885-87 and are addressed to Louie Willits of Liscomb, Iowa, and seem to have been penned by teenagers. In a few cases their thoughts are incomplete or they became hurried in leaving their notes. Or, it may be that 123 years ago, teenagers had different ways of expressing themselves.

Initially, I believed Louie a boy to be;
On second thought, I see Louie was a she.

Dear Louie:
Nothing gratis is easily won.
Your Friend and School Mate
Nettie Armstrong
PS: Remember our slay (sic) ride.
***
Friend Louie
So thou sweet rose bud young and gay
Shalt beauteous blaze upon thee,
And bless thy parents evening ray
That watched thy early morn.
Etta McEarly
***
Louie:

Remember me when this you see;
Put on your eyes and think of me
Ola Detrick
***
Dear Louie
Remember me and always be true.
Nettie Middleton
PS: True and wise, you’re never despised.
***
Louie
Lock up thy heart,
Keep safe the key,
Forget me not
Till I do thee.
Your friend,
Maud Elliott
***
Louie
May your joys be as deep as the ocean,
And sorrow as light as the foam -
Is the wish of your friend,
Gertrude Wilkey
***
Friend Louie:
I will not wish you all sunshine,
As many other has done;
But just enough sadness
To soften the glare of the sun.
Ever Your Friend,
Nellie Tripp
***
Friend Louie
When in the grave my head doth lay,
Beneath the cold and silent day
And just one story is left to tell
Of one who loved you true and well.
Your Friend and Schoolmate,
Maggie Elliott
***
To Louie
Remember me early,
remember me late
remember the boy
you kist at the gate.
Edie Speicher
***
Dear Louie
Roses are red and roses are yellow and
you are the girl that stole my fellow.
Your Friend,
Iva Elliott
***
Friend Louie
It has not been long
Since we, as stranger, met.
The sun of friendship has risen;
O, may it never set.
Nancy Miller
***
Friend Louie:
What’s in your mind let no one know,
Not to your friend your secrets show;
But if your friends become your foe,
Then every one in your mind will know.
Mary Miller
***
Dear Louie:
The path of sorrow and that path alone,
leads to that land where sorrow is unknown.
Coda Johnson
PS: Remember the 1st of May, 1886.
(This note was written May 26, 1886.)
***
Louie
Remember me is all I ask,
I have no other claim.
But if remembrance be a task,
Think only of my name.
Alice Starks
***
Dear Louie,
Look not mournfully into the past, it comes not back again;
Wisely improve the present, it is the thing;
Go forth to meet the shady future without fear and with a brave heart.
Ever your friend,
Isabel Trease
***
Dear Louie:
When the distant sun is setting,
When your mind from care is free
And of distant friends you’re thinking
Will you sometimes think of me.
Your friend
Coline Murdock
***
To Louie:
Sailing down the stream of life
in your little bark canoe,
May you have a pleasant ride
with your room enough for two.
Etta Heiffner
-30-

No comments: